Friday, May 11, 2007

Spam Me Baby!!

Ok. Ever since I moved away from my AOL account four years ago I relenquished the privledge of wading through thousands of Spam emails. Most were sly come-ons to visit elicit sites with clever titles like "Jennifer from High School" or "How have you been?" But since I dropped AOL (code for "moved out of my parents house") I have not had to endure the gauntlet. Until Myspace.

Now those who know me know that when trends come around I flee. An example is leaving my blessings stranded on page 4 of The Prayer of Jabez. Myspace though has the added attraction of "easy connection". It seemed like everyone I knew had a Myspace account. Emails became passe and messaging became "The Balls" to quote a line from Anchorman. But it did come with a snag, Spam!

So yes I have accidentally clicked on Myspace messages with clever titles like "Jennifer from High School" only to find a world of sin one-click away. Now I just delete every message from someone I don't know just to be sure. But one caught my eye today. I was going through messages that I must have skipped over from months ago and I ran across this:








Now you may not be able to read the title of the message so here it is: "Chrissy would like to invite you to the group Sweat Hot Girls." The title alone brings my dinner to the surface (Sweat Hot Girls?) but what you should focus on is the picture. What the crap? Is that supposed to entice someone to check out her page. It looks like she is saying "I've been sick."

Either way I have become hardened to the vague message titles and delete them without hesitation. So if you haven't spoken to me in many years I suggest using a very specific title because "Jennifer from High School" just won't do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The fact that myspace even exists in it's current form is somewhat sad. Like you, I have it to keep in touch with friends who don't use email anymore, so it's sort of a necessary evil.

What bothers me though, is the look of the thing... You and I have both seen enough ugly sites to know that there are plenty out there, but an ugly site that attracts over 170 million users has got to be a little depressing for anyone in the design or web development industry. When all of the kids using myspace grow up, what are they going to think is "good design" or "cool"?

Every time I have to go into myspace now, I think about the movie Idiocracy now.