Saturday, May 19, 2007

My Name is John Rambo and I am an AARP member

When I heard that Stallone had decided to dust the rigamortus off of the Rocky series I thought, "Well, if George Foreman can still box... so can the Italian Stallion (soon to be Glue Stick)". Though I did not see the film most people said it was better than average. OK. But then during a conference call that I snuck onto in which Stallone was hawking the new Rocky movie to youth leaders around the country, Sly mentioned his next project... a new Rambo movie. Hold the phone. What? A new Rambo? Do we need a new Rambo movie? Did we need a new Rocky?

Then he proceeded to give a few details on the project. Rambo is a recluse in the Burmese jungles living as far off the grid as possible. Then he finds out about a Burman village that is being persecuted for their Christian beliefs. So he unleashes a holy war on the villains and saves the day... which in turn saves himself. This sounds like it could be dripping in hokeyness. Most movies that walk the spiritual / entertainment line usually tend to lean heavily to either side. Most suck.

The first Christian-themed movie I saw in the theater was Omega Code. I wanted to burn the theater down with me in it. The second (and last) I went to the multiplex to see was Passion of the Christ. That was almost unbearable to watch it was so intense. So this presents Stallone a gauntlet of obstacles to overcome. How do you walk such a fine line?

Well, in signature Rambo fashion, the line has been obliterated by an arsenal of explosive tipped arrows. If you are opposed to violence please do not watch this trailer. If you don't mind Bible verses quoted over the sound of an automatic weapon being unloaded into an evil foot soldier - please proceed.



Holy Crap right! That is Hizznard Core! I could be wrong but I don't see Churches buying out entire theaters and busing parishioners in like they did for Passion. But I could be wrong. I have attended a junior high youth group meeting that used the entire 8 minute opening scene from Saving Private Ryan to illustrate how we should persevere through adversities as Christians. Maybe they could use the scene where John Rambo uses a machete to detach the soldiers head to inspire young Christians not to lose their head when presenting the Gospel to strangers. Or maybe Basic Instinct 2 could inform teenagers about the dangers of sex and the importance of not cluddering theaters with obvious straight-to-video movies. Again... I could be wrong.

No comments: